[buug] tired of redhat, and i want something new to play with

mikron mikron at idiom.com
Sun May 4 00:53:44 PDT 2003

hey folks,

for a wide variety of reasons, I am sick of red hat linux, and I want
to try something else for some of my home systems.  any suggestions?  I
am thinking of trying debian or freebsd; both seem to have plenty of
software available.

Some quick questions:

1) How does debian stack up to rpm based distros?  does it use
runlevels, or is it more bsd like in startup/shutdown?

2) How much of a learning curve is there for freebsd coming from a
linux environment?

3) How widespread is *bsd or debian in the corporate world?  besides
yahoo, anyone else use bsd?

4) In 50 words or less, why you use debian(or freebsd).

Thanks for your help,

Mike