[buug] tired of redhat, and i want something new to play with

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun May 4 02:26:27 PDT 2003

Quoting mikron (mikron at idiom.com):

> for a wide variety of reasons, I am sick of red hat linux, and I want
> to try something else for some of my home systems.

Not a bad idea.  Fortunately, you can try almost any Linux or *BSD
system for the cost of CDs from either mail-order outfits ($2/disk) or
made by downloading and burning your own.  The impression you'll get by
doing so will be of considerably more practical value than (for example)
the mostly content-free responses you're likely to get to your current
invitation of advocacy speeches.

> any suggestions?

Yeah:  Let us know what you're looking for, so that there can be at
least the faint hope of intelligent and useful replies.

> I am thinking of trying debian or freebsd; both seem to have plenty of
> software available.

Availability of software simply isn't a problem on any *ix.  As stated,
this is a bogus criterion.

> 1) How does debian stack up to rpm based distros?

It stacks up in a manner that can be endlessly and tiresomely debated.
Honestly, what sort of question is  that?

> does it use runlevels....

Yep.  SysV init, FHS-compliant filesystem layout.

> or is it more bsd like in startup/shutdown?

You know, it would be fun converting a Debian system to use a BSD init,
but would take some work, and you'd have to remember to manually fix
scripts when you install/remove daemons.  But, to my knowledge, the only
Linux systems that furnish a BSD init by default are Slackware and
Stampede.  (Stampede offers both.)

> 2) How much of a learning curve is there for freebsd coming from a
> linux environment?

Read the excellent FreeBSD Handbook, at the project Web site.  The init
structure is of course different, the default partitioning will probably
be unfamiliar, device naming is of course quite different, software
build systems are very different, filesystem layout differs (definitely
not FHS!), and a lot of administrative details will be new to you.

But, if you've never run a BSD, _do_ try FreeBSD next.  It's an
excellent system in most respects, and will broaden your horizons.

On the other hand, if you want to really fundamentally understand Linux,
try Slackware.

> 3) How widespread is *bsd or debian in the corporate world?  besides
> yahoo, anyone else use bsd?

Pick one or both:  (1) Who the fuck cares?  (2) Not a clue.

> 4) In 50 words or less, why you use debian(or freebsd).
                    ^^^^

_Fewer_.  Good grief, man.  And for Heaven's sake, fix your shift key.

Debian provides high standards of quality and efficient maintenance with
absolutely minimal sysadmin effort.  More at:
http://linuxmafia.com/debian/tips and the debian-* files inside
http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/linux-info/

--
Cheers,                    I've been suffering death by PowerPoint, recently.
Rick Moen                                                     -- Huw Davies
rick at linuxmafia.com