[buug] Re: tired of red hat

Keith Keller kkeller-buug at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us
Sun May 4 22:23:17 PDT 2003

On Sun, May 04, 2003 at 11:08:15PM -0500, luis wrote:
[487 lines snipped]
>    Once you try FreeBSD, you may very well like it much better than Linux.  For
> example, it's package/ports handling abilities are much more advanced than Linux's.
> You'll have to know more about configuring programs than with Linux.  In other words,
> it has less eye candy.  Good luck.  Luis

Was it *really* necessary to keep all 487 lines of the original
digest just to add your four?

Anyway, just to impart some slight purpose to my message, the way
I've heard Slackware sometimes described is "as close to *BSD as
linux gets."  That's no longer as true, with the ports/packages
collections, but in terms of how the distro feels under the
fingers, there's still something to the statement.  And its
package format is a standard tar.gz, in which may be included
an install shell script.  How easy can you get?!?  No dependency
checking though, which may or may not be important.

--keith

kkeller at speakeasy.net
alt.os.linux.slackware FAQ:  http://wombat.san-francisco.ca.us/cgi-bin/fom