[buug] tired of redhat, and i want something new to play with

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon May 5 01:19:06 PDT 2003

Quoting f.johan.beisser (jan at caustic.org):

> In general, FreeBSD does what it says it'll do. It's my default
> workstation OS, and by far the one i'm most familiar with. But, it's
> growing in ugly horrible ways, that make it less than ideal for
> something like a firewall, or a server.

I can probably build a filtering router ("firewall") out of any *ix, but
FreeBSD wouldn't normally be my first pick for raw material.  As to
"server", I note that FreeBSD's SMP recently has stopped sucking, in
distinction to the others -- but I suppose it depends on what you're
looking for.

(I personally regard the "server" vs. "workstation" distinction as
mostly a quaint vestige of legacy Microsoft cruft.  The terms most
appropriately refer to task roles, rather than characterising an entire
host.)

--
<BLINK>Resize your browser so the following line touches both margins!</BLINK>
                           <HR WIDTH="75%">
                Best Regards, Rick Moen, rick at linuxmafia.com