[buug] FreeBSD Linux Compatibility problem

Erick Smith desertfox at cableaz.com
Fri May 9 09:44:13 PDT 2003

OK, thanks for all the info.  I received a suggestion from my posting on
OSNews that has helped the most.  I'm posting it here in case anyone else is
watching this thread.

What they suggested was to unpack the RPM using:

rpm -i --ignoreos --root /compat/linux --dbpath /var/lib/rpm package

(This comes from the FreeBSD Handbook 22.5 - Installing Oracle)

(It's the --root and --dbpath options that did the trick)

This worked, and my app now knows it's a linux app, but it can't find some
app-specific libraries.  Now I'm looking up how to set the path variable for
the linux compatibility layer so that I can tell it where the local libraries
are.

Thanks for all the help.  I have solved the core problem, the rest should be
easier.

BTW, I'm not a real big fan of RPM's now :)

Thanks again,

Erick