[buug] connecting between linux machines?

Nick Moffitt nick at zork.net
Fri Nov 14 13:22:23 PST 2003

begin  Rick Moen Lives Three Hours from Nowhere  quotation:
> Quoting Nick Moffitt (nick at zork.net):
> > 	Go on, tell me which mailers are so broken that a "Reply To
> > All" doesn't work if the sender has a Reply-To.
>
> To re-gather that information with reasonable certainty would
> require me to install and test some sizeable fraction of the 120
> MUAs available for Linux -- not counting legacy Win32 and MacOS
> mailers.  I'm not up for doing that at the moment.  I'm quite happy
> with mutt, and with Linux.

	Can you give even anecdotal evidence?  Just *one* that you
remember doing this?  Some actual fact to base your flame against Skip
on?

	It's my memory that netscape mail (I tried it out for a while
when I was at SuSE) would ask you in a wizard-style input mechanism
for your address, and addresses you would like replies to be directed
to.  You'd get a reply-to automatically just by mechanically and
truthfully answering the questions.  I don't recall this ever causing
any problems on mailing lists that didn't munge reply-to.

	I don't know where you're getting the idea that the mailers
you don't use are THAT broken.  And if they are, why yell at Skip?
He's following the damned RFCs, so who cares if he tickles a bug in
someone's broken MUA?  Hell, half my headers do that *deliberately*,
and some of my message body!

	-- Lewis Mumford

end