[buug] connecting between linux machines?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Nov 14 13:56:59 PST 2003

Quoting Nick Moffitt (nick at zork.net):

> Just *one* that you remember doing this?

Pine, I'm pretty sure.  (I never used it much, having gone straight from
elm to mutt.)

> Some actual fact to base your flame against Skip on?

Well, Mr. Sensitive, I don't recall attacking Skip personally.  I just
suggested that he not use Reply-To on technical-community mailing lists
in a fashion that tends to redirect threads to private mail.

> I don't know where you're getting the idea that the mailers
> you don't use are THAT broken.

s/don't use/don't use any more/

> And if they are, why yell at Skip?

Checking my sent mail, I fail to notice any of the ASCII analogues of
yelling -- or even any expression of annoyance.  I answered his
technical question, and then suggested that in the future he conduct
ordinary list replies, and not set Reply-To.

> He's following the damned RFCs, so who cares if he tickles a bug in
> someone's broken MUA?

Well, I do.  The particular setting Skip used, although certainly
something he set up inadvertantly, has no legitimate purpose:  In case
you didn't notice, his Reply-To: address was set the same as his From:
one.

Granting the assumption that, _if_ MUAs tended to treat Reply-To
correctly, he could have usefully employed it to say "Please use this
instead of my From: address in any replies", setting it to the _same_
as the From: address serves only to trip up broken mailers and redirect
threads to offlist private mail.

--
Cheers,
Rick Moen                     Emacs is a decent operating system,