[buug] connecting between linux machines?

Nick Moffitt nick at zork.net
Fri Nov 14 14:03:10 PST 2003

begin  Rick Moen Lives Three Hours from Nowhere  quotation:
> Quoting Nick Moffitt (nick at zork.net):
> > Just *one* that you remember doing this?
>
> Pine, I'm pretty sure.  (I never used it much, having gone straight
> from elm to mutt.)

	Nope.  It specifically prompts you if you want to use the
reply-to.

> > Some actual fact to base your flame against Skip on?
>
> Well, Mr. Sensitive, I don't recall attacking Skip personally.  I
> just suggested that he not use Reply-To on technical-community
> mailing lists in a fashion that tends to redirect threads to private
> mail.

	You all but accused him of trying to use the list as a private
consulting service.

> > And if they are, why yell at Skip?
>
> Checking my sent mail, I fail to notice any of the ASCII analogues
> of yelling -- or even any expression of annoyance.  I answered his
> technical question, and then suggested that in the future he conduct
> ordinary list replies, and not set Reply-To.

	Skip took offense, and nobody on this list seemed to think it
at all odd that he should.  I wonder why.

> > He's following the damned RFCs, so who cares if he tickles a bug
> > in someone's broken MUA?
>
> Well, I do.  The particular setting Skip used, although certainly
> something he set up inadvertantly, has no legitimate purpose:  In
> case you didn't notice, his Reply-To: address was set the same as
> his From: one.
>
> Granting the assumption that, _if_ MUAs tended to treat Reply-To
> correctly, he could have usefully employed it to say "Please use
> this instead of my From: address in any replies", setting it to the
> _same_ as the From: address serves only to trip up broken mailers
> and redirect threads to offlist private mail.

	Thus, harmless!  Not worth even MENTIONING!

	This thread has pushed the "ha ha buug" value to 11, I swear.

	-- Lewis Mumford

end