[buug] squid over commercial proxy server

Bob Read unixjavabob at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 1 17:40:05 PDT 2003

<stream of conciousness>
Here's one:  all these viruses going around that
require rebooting windows boxes would not affect a
squid/linux install...your proxy should never go down,
and linux/squid gives you that reliability.

You could argue that squid is similar to apache from
managerial/admin standpoints.  Which may help or hurt
depending on who you're talking to (for example, if
they are biased towards IIS).

If you end up buying a commercial proxy server, it
might be fun to covertly install squid and run a few
machines through it, do some head-to-head testing,
etc, etc.

It is quite common and useful for the "admins" to have
totally redundant networks, connections, proxies, etc,
etc to the ones used by "users".  Once in a while,
these redundant systems save some manager's ass and
then they are extremely grateful.
</stream of conciousness>

Later,
Bob

--- johnd <john at jjdev.com> wrote:
> Yea, that's part of what I meant by extensibility,
> and I think that it
> carries a lot of weight.
>

> On Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 03:33:10PM -0500, Brian
> Sobolak wrote:
> >
> > I'm not sure how much weight this carries, but
> having the source means you
> > can fix problems yourself, if you have the skills.
> >
> > I know that my firm has very, very stringent
> security requirements.  We
> > use squid.  I'm sure other examples abound of
> commercial companies using
> > squid over closed-source solutions.
> >
> > brian
> >
> > johnd said:
> > > Does anyone have any references to any articles
> that would help
> > > me to convince the IT group where I work to go
> with squid over a
> > > commercial
> > > proxy solution?
> > >
> > > The only arguments I can come up with are cost
> and extensibility.
> > >
> > > I can't really say squid will be more reliable
> or faster than something
> > > else because I really have no experience with
> anything else.
> > >

> > > --
> > > Those who do not understand Unix are condemned
> to reinvent it, poorly.
> > > --Henry Spencer (Usenet signature, November
> 1987)

> > --
> > Brian Sobolak
> > http://www.planetshwoop.com/
>
> --
> Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to
> reinvent it, poorly.
> --Henry Spencer (Usenet signature, November 1987)

=====
Bob Read
Exit Code Incorporated
cell (510)-703-1634