[buug] squid

johnd john at jjdev.com
Tue Oct 14 10:15:08 PDT 2003

anyone familiar with squid?  I am having a hard time understanding
how to configure it.

for one thing

the online docs say:
------------------------
Example 6-8. Filtering out unwanted destination sites

acl badDomains dstdomain adomain.example
acl badIPs dst 10.255.1.2
http_access deny badlist
http_access deny badIPs
http_access allow myNet
http_access deny all

------------------------

this seems to be a typo.  badlist is undefined.

I changed badDomains to badlist and it works...just makes me wonder.

my goal is to have it so I have a list of domains that squid will proxy to

I guess I'm not understanding what a ACL is all about.

I was able to put this at the end of the default file:

acl myNet src 192.168.165.0
acl badlist dstdomain jjdev.com
acl badIPs dst 66.74.136.240
http_access deny badlist
http_access deny badIPs
http_access allow myNet
http_access deny all

it does the opposite of what I want kind of...It only filters domains listed.

I want to filter all and only allow listed domains.

I thought I could just flip it around to:

like allow badlist and badIPs (I'd probably change the name to good) and denyall

but it doesn't work...any ideas?

--Henry Spencer (Usenet signature, November 1987)