[buug] Redhat 9 to XP

Dave Barry dave at mikamyla.com
Wed Oct 15 15:11:44 PDT 2003

Quothe Skip Evans <skip at ncseweb.org>, on Wed, Oct 15, 2003:
> I have set up a user on the XP machine with the same user name
> and password on the XP machine, and have an entry in fstab:
>
> //server/c /mnt/XPserver smbfs   username=skip,password=****
>
> But I cannot write to the XP machine. I typically get an error message
> that says the directory I am trying to write to is set to read only.
> However, I have changed all the settings I can find in the XP's
> control panel to allow full access to this user, but to no avail.
>
> I can write to the XP machine if I sign into the Linux machine
> as root, but this was just a test; obviously I don't want to log in as
> root all the time. However, I guess it's a clue of sorts, but not one that
> rings my bell.

It is a clue indeed, the directory may not have proper permissions for
the 'skip' user.  Try mounting the share with uid=skip, or gid=staff
(i'm not sure what Redhat 9 uses for a standard user group)

You can verify this is the case by looking at the permissions on
/mnt/XPserver (on the Redhat machine), my guess is that is that the
directory is owned by root, and denies write access to others.

--
Fuck the constitution!
Are we part of the solution, or part of the pollution?