[buug] Redhat 9 comatose problem

Bob Read unixjavabob at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 21 17:33:22 PDT 2003

Hey Skip,
   Run levels are a built-in way of grouping the
processes on a unix machine by "purpose".  This
concept goes back to the original greybeards who wrote
unix.  You take a machine to different run levels
using the "init" command.
   In fact, every time you boot your machine, or issue
the "shutdown" command, you are taking it through the
run levels.
   Run-levels have suffered some feature-creep over
the years...you really should grab a book and read
about it such as oreilly's "Essential System
Administration".  There are some problems that are
only solvable by switching run levels (you will do it
eventually, so best to learn now).

Bob

=====
Bob Read