[buug] gateway

johnd john at jjdev.com
Wed Oct 22 16:19:36 PDT 2003

the purpose is:

there is a box in the far back end behind two firewalls...

it has a default gate way for access to places it needs to go to right now.

I have a box in the DMZ that will act as a gate way for the back end box to go
to a few outside places...

I just have the middle DMZ box with ip_forwarding on and to the back
end box I added a second default gate way so it can go to the outside web
through the middle box.

Seems like it makes sense works good...just wanted some input to see how
people 'normally' do this kind of thing.

On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 03:59:32PM -0700, Tony Godshall wrote:
> According to johnd,
> > Is it ok to define two default gateways?
> >
> > to me be name 'default gateway' implies one, but I have a box that
> > has a route to a other lan and needs a route to the internet
> >
> > so I just added another default gateway and everything works great
> >
> > just want to make sure this is not a problem
>
> If you have two interfaces out of your box, you might
> want to set up a sharing (higher bandwidth) or failover
> setup.
>
> For linux, check Documentation/networking/bonding.txt and
> the ifenslave config tool.  According to packages.debian.org,
> ifenslave is a tool to ...
>
> : Attach and detach slave interfaces to a bonding device.
> :
> : This is a tool to attach and detach slave network interfaces
> : to a bonding device. A bonding device will act like a normal
> : Ethernet network device to the kernel, but will send out the
> : packets via the slave devices using a simple round-robin
> : scheduler. This allows for simple load-balancing, identical
> : to "channel bonding" or "trunking" techniques used in
> : switches.

--Henry Spencer (Usenet signature, November 1987)