[buug] Regarding wireless access points

Aleksandr Melentiev alex at myzona.net
Thu Sep 4 15:12:24 PDT 2003

Hi Claude,

I am a volunteer for San Francisco Wireless running my own public
wireless node in the city. Everything you have said is pretty much
correct. Wireless APs (at least most of them) have their own MAC
addresses, on some you can even change the MAC via web config. So it
should be no problem registering the MAC address with the IT department
and plugging it in the rj-45 jack. If you are concerned with security
beyond what the university offers, APs have their own security settings
including MAC address filtering and etc.
There are some nice APs available, but having in mind your budget issues
I would recommend Netgear, 802.11g would be the way to go since "b" will
  die more or less soon, but intercompatibility between the two is not a
big issue either.

There are some good resources you can get yourself familiar with:
http://www.sfwireless.net
http://www.personaltelco.net

By the way, you can home-build your own AP if you have some old
Unix/Linux box available and a wireless card, can be cheaper and much
more versatile configuration.

Alex