[buug] Regarding wireless access points

Claude Rubinson rubinson at email.arizona.edu
Thu Sep 4 19:36:34 PDT 2003

I'm assuming that you didn't mean to take this message off-list and am
redirecting it to the group.  Does anyone have any thoughts/comments?

----- Forwarded message from Jerry Asher <jerry at theashergroup.com> -----
Claude Rubinson said:

> And, assuming that I can simply connect a wireless hub to the ethernet
> jack, I'm thinking that I don't need to worry about security since the
> campus network will still be authenticating the individual clients by
> MAC address.  That is, I wouldn't be opening any security holes in the
> campus network.  Correct?  Or no?

My understanding is that you are opening a security hole.

MAC addresses of various wireless authorized cards can be sniffed.  When
the user of such a card goes offline, the wiley h4x0r can set his wireless
card to mimic that of the marks. And then before you can cry out Nimba,
soon you have little blasters all over the campus network, release from
inside the firewall.

This can be filtered to some degree on various waps, but I don't think
there is any preventable way of doing this short of setting up a full
fledged boingo like authenticating service.

Those wiley h4x0rs why do they hate America?

Jerry

----- End forwarded message -----