[buug] ldm_validate_partition_error

Skip Evans evans at ncseweb.org
Mon Sep 15 16:27:32 PDT 2003

Hey all,

I just installed Mandrake Linux 9.1 on a workstation to
see if I can use it to dump Windows. All I need is
openoffice, email, and the AOL IM (because that's what
they use here in the office), and I pretty much have
all I need to get started sans Windows, except that I
would like to keep my Windows drive bootable as a
second drive because there is stuff on it I will have
to get back to now and again.

All seems well with the ML install, except that when it
is booting up and says 'finding module dependencies' I
get the following error:

ldm_validate_partition_table(): disk read failed.

I searched around a bit for this and could only find
references in discussion groups to people getting it on
older Mandrake installs, but that it should have been
fixed in 9.1.

Anyone know what this error is?

I'm also having trouble getting the Windows drive to
boot as HDD-1. Basically, I thought I could plug one in
as the master (ML), and one as the slave and select in
the bios which to boot from. I'm quite sure I got the
jumpers all set right.

I also tried putting them both as masters on each cable
of the IDE controller, and booting from the bios as
HDD-0 and HDD-2, but any time I try and boot either one
as the second drive I get a non-system disk error.

My computer is a very generic standard type machine, no
fancy hardware installed.

Amy ideas?

Thanks from a newbie.

(In case you're wondering, as someone else quizzed me
about, the 'Network' in my job title has nothing to do
with computer networks, more the fleshy kind full of
blood and yuck.)

--
Skip Evans
Network Project Director
evans at ncseweb.org
  http://www.ncseweb.org

  NCSE now has a one way broadcast news list. Please
note that  this is NOT a discussion list. You cannot
post messages for members   to receive. We use this
list to broadcast news about the creationism/evolution
issue to interested parties.

   To sign up send:
   subscribe ncse your at email.address.here
   to: majordomo at ncseweb2.org