[buug] commercial linux proxy servers

Evan Cofsky unix at theunixman.com
Sat Sep 27 11:00:55 PDT 2003

On 09/26 12:43, Johnny Rocket wrote:
> Has anyone here ever ran a commercial proxy server on Linux that they would
> recommend?  I need to put together a pros and cons list of a commercial
> proxy server and squid for the IT group at my work.

Well, here are a few places to start:

http://zeus.com/ - Zeus is okay, and has some pretty useful web
controls, but I didn't really like it too much.  It's also a
software-based solution.

http://cisco.com/ - Cisco makes "Content Engines" which also do
caching.  They're Cisco, so they're extremely stable, if not the
fastest.  They're also relatively straightforward to use.  If you're
in an environment where monkeys will be interacting with such a
device, having thick manuals to keep them and their managers occupied
is always a plus, and Cisco has some of the thickest, most obfuscated
manuals around.

http://nortelnetworks.com/ - Their Alteon products are some of the
best.  Yahoo even uses them (and I think Google, too, but I'm not
sure).  I'd recommend these over a Squid box, actually, if the budget
is there, since you can buy a few of these, go through some
instructions, and set up a fully redundant environment.

--
Evan Cofsky, President, CEO The UNIX Man <evan at theunixman.com>