[buug] S.F. contract ~6 mo. heavy SMTP/sendmail on Solaris ...

Michael Paoli mp at rawbw.com
Sat Apr 3 02:37:40 PST 2004

S.F. contract ~6 mo. heavy SMTP/sendmail on Solaris ...

They also want to fill this ASAP - ideally they'd like to have someone
in place on Monday - but if that can't happen, I still think they would
really like very soon.

Why I'm bothering to post this: "inside track": I'm quite familiar with
the group/people/environment for this position (worked pretty intensely
with them for several months, and less intensely for years, as I became
lead in group that took over primary sys. adm. responsibilities for
their servers and worked on upgrading and converting them to meet
standards of my then group that would be supporting them - of course all
while keeping very busy (and semi-frequently pushed-to-its limits)
production stuff (which it mostly all was) running quite smoothly the
whole while).  Anyway, if you have "environment"/people type questions,
I could probably say a fair bit about that and such, however, I *am not*
the contact for hiring/arranging getting into this contract opportunity.
I'm guestimating it could probably be done on 1099 or W-2 basis - the
recruiter contact given (I also happen to know her somewhat - via same
former employer) could certainly answer that (and other) questions.
Anyway, if you want to chat with me about what I know of the
environment/folks, etc. might be best to give me a call (it's a listed
number in Berkeley - not too hard to find me) ... I might be most
reachable this weekend Saturday and Sunday evenings after it's dark out
... other times I'm more likely to be away from the phone (or asleep).
Anyway, also, as far as I'm aware, they're a pretty good bunch 'o folks
to work with.

My guestimates/impression of the "position":  Knowing what I know of the
group, and guestimating what they're doing or likely to be doing (based
on prior experience with them) I'd probably write up "requirements" for
the position and description a *bit* differently.  Anyway, I'd probably
sketch out something *roughly* like this (mostly emphasizing how I'd
vary the description).  "Requirements:"
Strong proven track record (~)"senior" level UNIX sys. adm. experience,
preferably Solaris (and Solaris 8 most preferably) or at *least*
comparable experience with two or more substantially different UNIX
flavors.  Experience must include: major critical support of production
(e.g. thousands to millions of concurrent users, highly active systems,
critical applications on those systems, and generally making necessary
fixes/corrections/upgrades without having undue negative consequences to
production operations)
sendmail - moderate to heavy experience/knowledge
SMTP - should know rather to quite well
lots of other typical UNIX stuff, etc. ("senior" ... networking, TCP,
DNS (at least client and caching servers), patching/installing/upgrading,
etc., etc.)
Major/significant pluses: significant/great familiarity with 3rd party
(and/or Open Source) mail tools/package/software (e.g. anti-spam,
anti-malicious code, security and SMTP mail security, etc.)

Oh, also, I suspect this also correlates to:
http://seeker.dice.com/jobsearch/servlet/JobSearch?op=1002&dockey=xml/a/1/a1e284ff03dc16024763368d6c689bba@activejobs0&c=1&source=1
but I haven't gotten confirmation of that.

If I'm not mistaken, I think/believe rate for W-2 contract employee may
be $45/hr. but it's possible I have that incorrect (rate may also vary
substantially depending on precise skill/experience and track
record).  I believe I noted 6 mo. duration based on phone
conversation(s).

Oh, if you do contact the recruiter if you would mention that you were
referred by me (or by my BUUG posting) that would probably be good (and
I'd be curious to hear too if anyone lands this opportunity via my
mention of it here, and what recruiter's impression of response turns
out to be).

Anyway, ... recruiter contact and position description, etc.:

> To: <Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu>
> Subject: RE: Wells Contract Position, etc.
> Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 09:58:28 -0800

> Thanks for all your help.  Please post it ASAP, and go ahead and put my home
> number on there so they can contact me over the weekend (707) 773-0105.

> Sheri Safreno Cellini
> Concinnity Group, Inc.
> 205 Keller Street, Suite 205
> Petaluma, CA 94952
> * 707-773-1477
> Fax:707-773-4577
> * sheri at concinnitygroup.biz

> To: <michael.paoli at cal.berkeley.edu>
> Subject: RE: Wells Contract Position
> Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 16:38:58 -0800

> Really great talking with you.  I am so bummed that you have another
> contract, however that is really great for you and I wish you best of luck.
> Below is the job description and current pay rate.  If they are really
> interested they can contact me tonight at my home up until 10:00pm
> 707-773-0105, otherwise they can contact me in the office.

> Job Description:
> Roll out anti-Spam software to SMTP mail hubs
> Assist with creating documentation and training

> Essential skills:
> Experience with Unix, SunOS, Solaris 8 plus
> Experience with SMTP sendmail
> Experience with large, complex environments of over 100,000 users
> Effective written and verbal communication skills
> Ability to problem-solve, work well independently and with others and
> patience Ability to work well in fast pace, stressful environment

> Pay Rate:
>  PC LAN Engineer $45 / Hr

And (not exactly in reverse chronologic order), more 'bout this posting
itself:

http://www.weak.org/pipermail/buug/2003-August/002070.html