[buug] ln -sf bug (& standards, etc.)

Ian Zimmerman itz at buug.org
Sat Aug 7 08:29:14 PDT 2004

Michael> I think the "good news" here is it appears these things are on
Michael> relatively convergent paths - at least with regard to the most
Michael> common options (-s and -f) (most notably some LSB deprecated
Michael> features and most current LSB release candidate, and the most
Michael> current specifications from The Open Group Specifications).

Do you think GNU will remove the -n flag or reverse its semantics if it
is removed by LSB?  I bet against it.  There's still the possibility
that distributions will do it with a patch, but I don't like that
much either, it breaks compiling from source.

Scripts should probably work around by testing if the target is a
symlink, and if so remove it first; and LSB should _not_ specify one
behavior or the other, just leave it undefined.

--
"It's not true or not."  A reality show producer (real quote)