[buug] Resolving host

Ian Zimmerman itz at buug.org
Tue Aug 10 21:10:10 PDT 2004

Joseph> I'm finding that in using my browsers, I have to resolve hosts
Joseph> far too often, sometimes on every access to a given host, even
Joseph> within moments of the last one. I should be caching this
Joseph> somehow, and probably have to set one thing somewhere, but
Joseph> forget what. Clues?

Joseph> I'm running Mandrake 10.0 Official, mostly using the Mozilla
Joseph> Firefox 0.8 browser.

I don't know about any setting in Mozilla that causes it to cache DNS
information internally, but I haven't looked too hard.

I always run a local caching name server.  It doesn't have to be BIND.
I have been very happy with dnsmasq for at least a year.

--
"It's not true or not."  A reality show producer (real quote)