[buug] hardware load balancing vs software

Neal Samarakkody rushans at brc2.com
Tue Aug 31 17:40:15 PDT 2004

John de la Garza wrote:
> I'm not asking if we should use tomcat or apache
>
> Im asking if we should use a hardware loadbalancer or apache to load
> balance
>
> apache will be used regardless

the easiest way to do load balancing between webservers is to have dns
do the work.  having the same name like www point to different ip's will
cause dns to cycle through the list of ip's for a certain name as
requests arrive.  actually, this is the manner in which bind behaves.  i
am assuming most other dns daemons behave similarly.

so you do not need a hardware load balancer or apache to do load balancing.

~rushan