[buug] "record" mp3/ogg?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Dec 21 23:38:59 PST 2004

Quoting Ian Zimmerman (itz at buug.org):

> Hi, I'm a rank beginner with digital sound, hence this question.
> There seem to be plenty of programs to "rip" tracks from a CD,
> save them in the lossy format of the day, and maybe reassemble
> them for burning on another CD.  But I want to create files
> from external source - really, whatever the sound card happens
> to play.  That's because I'd like to retire my stereo, but only
> after converting the really valuable LPs and tapes.  After
> a very short search I have not found any way to do that.
>
> Maybe I am asking the wrong question?  If so I'm sure Rick
> will correct that :-)

Since you didn't have much luck with picking something to _record_
sound files, I tried a Google search on "capture sound Linux".

First of all, it appears that MP3 encoding utilities like BladeEnc
accept stdin, so you should be able to read directly from a sound device
file, as specified on the command line.  That seems like the most
straight-forward way, off the top of my head.

There's also a sound-capture client for the relatively obscure sound
server named JACK (or JACKit), detailed here:
http://desktops.linux.com/desktops/04/08/09/1513255.shtml?tid=25

This thread...
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/history/261684
...suggests you should be able to use KRecord or audicity directly for
the purpose you have in mind.  Consensus seems to favour audicity.

This article...
http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=04/10/20/1423245
...says to use something called "ecasound" to do the capture from
/dev/dsp, and then audicity to clean it up (if necessary).

There's a Freshmeat category with a mere 130 entries in it:
http://freshmeat.net/browse/115/

'Hope that helps.  (I'd not gotten around to considering this problem
before.)

--
Cheers,                    I've been suffering death by PowerPoint, recently.
Rick Moen                                                     -- Huw Davies
rick at linuxmafia.com