[buug] "record" mp3/ogg?

Chris Waters xtifr at debian.org
Tue Dec 21 23:48:03 PST 2004

On Tue, Dec 21, 2004 at 10:30:45PM -0800, Ian Zimmerman wrote:

> But I want to create files from external source - really, whatever
> the sound card happens to play.  That's because I'd like to retire
> my stereo, but only after converting the really valuable LPs and
> tapes.

Very easy.  Just about any sound editing tool will allow you to record
from your sound card's line-in.  However, there's a program
specifically designed for what you're trying to do:  gramofile.

http://panic.et.tudelft.nl/~costar/gramofile/

Or, if you're running Debian, "apt-get install gramofile". :)

Also, I have to say, if you're really planning to dump your LPs and
tapes, you might want to make lossless archives of the music (or, at
least, the more valuable, less easily replaceable bits) compressed
with FLAC instead of ogg or mp3.  Make oggs too, for playing, but
keep archives of the FLAC files on CDR or other backup medium.  Then,
if you ever want to transcode to a newer or better format, you'll
still have the pristine originals around.

http://flac.sourceforge.net/

--
Chris Waters           |  Pneumonoultra-        osis is too long
xtifr at debian.org       |  microscopicsilico-    to fit into a single