[buug] xtreelic, maitrd, busboy, and garcon

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Feb 5 19:01:09 PST 2004

Quoting Joseph Zitt (jzitt at josephzitt.com):

> http://crypto.yashy.com/nmap.php which apparently runs nmap againt the
> machine that calls it, reported the following ports as open on my RedHat
> 9 box:
>
> PORT STATE SERVICE
> 22/tcp open ssh
> 80/tcp open http
> 996/tcp filtered xtreelic
> 997/tcp filtered maitrd
> 998/tcp filtered busboy
> 999/tcp filtered garcon
>
> I'm puzzled by the latter four entries, since they're not anything I'm
> familiar with.

Don't use someone else's nmap results, especially ones conducted over
network links of unknown capabilities.  More than likely, the above is
merely showing you some router's filters, between you and the nmap host.

Just use a second local machine to nmap the first one.  I believe you
can even use Knoppix for that.

--
Cheers,                   The cynics among us might say:   "We laugh,
Rick Moen                 monkeyboys -- Linux IS the mainstream UNIX now!