[buug] wireless conflict

Mike Hedlund mike at boom.net
Fri Feb 6 10:14:49 PST 2004

On Fri, Feb 06, 2004 at 09:56:14AM -0800, Ian Zimmerman <itz at buug.org> wrote:

> So, what to do when our 802.11b network starts fighting with neighbors'?
> Switch to a different channel?  Or is specifying a particular ESSID enough?

Ian,

I had the same problem when moving into my new apt in san jose. My neighbor had an open wireless network with the default SSID and channel (6). I would have never even bothered getting DSL if his WAP wasn't so flakey.... heh.

Anyway, i had to force my wap/card to run on channel 5 because the driver would immediately jump onto the first channel it found, regardless of what i hardcoded.

-mike