[buug] Hardware heartburn

Bill Honeycutt wfhoney at pacbell.net
Tue Jan 6 20:36:45 PST 2004

Hi,

I realize that BUUG isn't an appropriate forum for the question I need
to ask, but maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

Today, out of the blue, I got the following in messages:

    kernel: usb-ohci.c: OHCI Unrecoverable Error, controller usb-00:0f.2
disabled

...after which the server quit responding and a number of bleary eyed
programmers started wandering up to my desk.

I snooped around with lspci -v and found out this:

00:0f.2 USB Controller: Compaq Computer Corporation ZFMicro Chipset USB
(rev 12) (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
         Subsystem: Compaq Computer Corporation ZFMicro Chipset USB
         Memory at db800000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
         Capabilities: [e0] Power Management version 1

This was a second hand machine, always somewhat suspect, but it does a
fairly decent job, doesn't need to be 24x7, so I keep it alive.

Could I be looking at signs of a flakey controller chip?  Could someone
have done something stupid and triggered this message?

Any words of wisdom, speculation or even wisecracks would be appreciated.