[buug] Hardware heartburn

Bob Read unixjavabob at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 7 10:41:17 PST 2004

Just curious Bill, but is anything plugged into the
USB port?  If you plugin something else, does that
work?  Is there another USB port you can plug into
instead (ie is it the device, the cable, or the USB
port ? )

If nothing is plugged in to the USB port, and you
don't plan on using the USB port, you could disable
all the USB/PCI stuff to allow the kernel to boot.

Later,
Bob

--- Bill Honeycutt <wfhoney at pacbell.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I realize that BUUG isn't an appropriate forum for
> the question I need
> to ask, but maybe someone can point me in the right
> direction.
>
> Today, out of the blue, I got the following in
> messages:
>
>     kernel: usb-ohci.c: OHCI Unrecoverable Error,
> controller usb-00:0f.2
> disabled
>
> ...after which the server quit responding and a
> number of bleary eyed
> programmers started wandering up to my desk.
>
> I snooped around with lspci -v and found out this:
>
> 00:0f.2 USB Controller: Compaq Computer Corporation
> ZFMicro Chipset USB
> (rev 12) (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
>          Subsystem: Compaq Computer Corporation
> ZFMicro Chipset USB
>          Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency
> 64, IRQ 25
>          Memory at db800000 (32-bit,
> non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
>          Capabilities: [e0] Power Management version
> 1
>
> This was a second hand machine, always somewhat
> suspect, but it does a
> fairly decent job, doesn't need to be 24x7, so I
> keep it alive.
>
> Could I be looking at signs of a flakey controller
> chip?  Could someone
> have done something stupid and triggered this
> message?
>
> Any words of wisdom, speculation or even wisecracks
> would be appreciated.

=====
Bob Read
Exit Code Incorporated