[buug] Commercial firewalls

Bill Honeycutt wfhoney at pacbell.net
Fri Jul 16 12:28:44 PDT 2004

Hi,

I'm doing some commercial firewall fact finding for my company.

This is a medium sized company (200 users with a similar number of
remote hosts) and our preliminary nattering has focused on three contenders:

	Checkpoint FW-1
	Cisco Pix 515e  (w/ restrict, also unrestricted)
	SonicWall pro 4060

I'm hoping some of you who have deployed these or similar commercial
solutions might comment, damn, praise, wax philosophic, etc., about your
experience with them.

We do a lot of packet filtering and port blocking.  We have a VPN set up
for some remote users, ICA thin client services and a smattering of
apache extranet pages.

I seem to remember this being discussed a while back, but the archives
aren't searchable : (

Thanks!

Bill