[buug] Trapped in Upgrade Hell

jzitt at josephzitt.com jzitt at josephzitt.com
Sat Mar 6 21:57:28 PST 2004

I seem to have gotten my system into a bizarrely hosed state. I first tried
to upgrade the box from RedHat 9 to Fedora Core 1 (I no longer recall why).
Doing so caused it to lose all my desktop settings and no longer recognize
the soundcard.

So I gave up on that and tried to upgrade to Mandrake 9.2, having
understood that to be relatively foolproof. It wasn't. The system now bombs
out while trying to boot. I recall seeing several permissions errors on
/dev. And it throws me into having to do maintenance as root when it's
unable to do an fsck on /dev/hda2. When I go in as root, I see that /dev
has no hda or hda2. Following what documentation I've understood, I try to
create that with the mknod command, after which I can do the fsck. But when
I come out of the root shell and reboot, /dev/hda2 is gone again.

However, when I boot up from a Knoppix Live CD and look at what's in its
/mnt/hda2/dev directory, I see thousands of items, as opposed to the couple
of dozen that would show up for it under Mandrake, including

knoppix at ttyp0[log]$ sudo ls -l /mnt/hda2/dev/hda*
brw-rw----    1 root     disk       3,   0 Feb 28 23:10 /mnt/hda2/dev/hda
brw-rw----    1 root     disk       3,   1 Feb 28 23:10 /mnt/hda2/dev/hda1
brw-rw----    1 root     disk       3,  10 Feb 28 23:10 /mnt/hda2/dev/hda10
brw-rw----    1 root     disk       3,  11 Feb 28 23:10 /mnt/hda2/dev/hda11
brw-rw----    1 root     disk       3,  12 Feb 28 23:10 /mnt/hda2/dev/hda12
brw-rw----    1 root     disk       3,  13 Feb 28 23:10 /mnt/hda2/dev/hda13
brw-rw----    1 root     disk       3,  14 Feb 28 23:10 /mnt/hda2/dev/hda14
brw-rw----    1 root     disk       3,  15 Feb 28 23:10 /mnt/hda2/dev/hda15
brw-rw----    1 root     disk       3,  16 Feb 28 23:10 /mnt/hda2/dev/hda16
brw-rw----    1 root     disk       3,   2 Feb 28 23:10 /mnt/hda2/dev/hda2
brw-rw----    1 root     disk       3,   3 Feb 28 23:10 /mnt/hda2/dev/hda3
brw-rw----    1 root     disk       3,   4 Feb 28 23:10 /mnt/hda2/dev/hda4
brw-rw----    1 root     disk       3,   5 Feb 28 23:10 /mnt/hda2/dev/hda5
brw-rw----    1 root     disk       3,   6 Feb 28 23:10 /mnt/hda2/dev/hda6
brw-rw----    1 root     disk       3,   7 Feb 28 23:10 /mnt/hda2/dev/hda7
brw-rw----    1 root     disk       3,   8 Feb 28 23:10 /mnt/hda2/dev/hda8
brw-rw----    1 root     disk       3,   9 Feb 28 23:10 /mnt/hda2/dev/hda9
knoppix at ttyp0[log]$

Does this mean that the items are there but that Mandrake refuses to see
them, or that Knoppix is creating them but destroying them when it shuts
down, or... uh... something else? I understand that these are, in some
mystical way, files-but-not-files, but what that means in a practical sense
is a complete mystery.

Is there anyway to turn this back into a usable, bootable machine? I am
well beyond frustration here, and the people I tell about this keep asking
me why I don't just get an operating system that works. If I weren't locked
into Linux (as far as I can understand) by having 100 GB of data on an ext3
filesystem that other OS's can't read, I'd be sorely tempted to give up and
get back to actually using my computer instead of having to spend all my
time configuring, debugging, and yelling at it.

Is there any further information I can provide? I am off the edge of my
knowledge and, after 7 years of slamming my head against trying to get
Linux systems working, quite near the edge of my patience.

http://mail2web.com/ .