[buug] Backups [Was: Trapped in Upgrade Hell]

f.johan.beisser jan at caustic.org
Mon Mar 8 10:41:48 PST 2004

On Mon, 8 Mar 2004, Jon McClintock wrote:

> Yeah, but of that 60G, how much of it will be irreplacable data? Unless
> you're doing a large amount of media generation, I'm guessing not much.

my own philosophy is that ALL data is irreplacable.

> The key is to recognize that it's no longer practical to back up your
> entire system. The solution is to narrow down your backups to that which
> is irreplacable, or hard to.

it's a solution, but not the solution.

> So, for example, I back up /etc, and the portions of /var that contain
> my Debian configuration. I backup homedirs, except for some directories
> that I've carved out (things like ~/tmp, and ~/downloads, etc). I backup
> my pictures (since I don't have them burned to CD, although I should),
> but not my mp3s (since they are exclusively burned from audio CDs for
> which I have the originals).

not acceptable. sorry. how much time will it take to rebuild those mp3s?
time + effort = money. least amount of effort for the time is going to
keep your ass happier, really.

> For me, at least, this all fits onto my 6-tape HP DDS2 autoloader (with
> 4GB capacity per tape).

how much was that?

> Granted, this works because I'm not authoring huge amounts of media
> (read: video).

i know a few people who do video and audio stuff. most can't afford to
handle backups either..

	The other day I asked former Yankees pitcher Jim Bouton
        what he thought of our great victory over Iraq, and he
        said, "Mohammed Ali versus Mr. Rogers."
		-- kurt vonnegut, 5.9.03