[buug] Backups [Was: Trapped in Upgrade Hell]

Jon McClintock jammer at weak.org
Mon Mar 8 10:49:03 PST 2004

On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 10:41:48AM -0800, f.johan.beisser wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Mar 2004, Jon McClintock wrote:
>
> > Yeah, but of that 60G, how much of it will be irreplacable data? Unless
> > you're doing a large amount of media generation, I'm guessing not much.
>
> my own philosophy is that ALL data is irreplacable.

Ok. You've decided that all of your bits are priceless. In which case,
be prepared to pay that price.

> > So, for example, I back up /etc, and the portions of /var that contain
> > my Debian configuration. I backup homedirs, except for some directories
> > that I've carved out (things like ~/tmp, and ~/downloads, etc). I backup
> > my pictures (since I don't have them burned to CD, although I should),
> > but not my mp3s (since they are exclusively burned from audio CDs for
> > which I have the originals).
>
> not acceptable. sorry. how much time will it take to rebuild those mp3s?
> time + effort = money. least amount of effort for the time is going to
> keep your ass happier, really.

Yes, and in my case, the equation works out to:

  ((time + effort) = money) < (money to buy a backup system capable of
                               reliably storing 60+ GB of data)

> > For me, at least, this all fits onto my 6-tape HP DDS2 autoloader (with
> > 4GB capacity per tape).
>
> how much was that?

Free. It helps to have friends in IT departments. :)

But, they're cheap enough:

  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2791965429&category=51090

-Jon