[buug] Backups [Was: Trapped in Upgrade Hell]

Jon McClintock jammer at weak.org
Mon Mar 8 11:03:08 PST 2004

On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 10:56:28AM -0800, f.johan.beisser wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Mar 2004, Jon McClintock wrote:
>
> > Ok. You've decided that all of your bits are priceless. In which case,
> > be prepared to pay that price.
>
> not all, just the content and crap i keep. my home directories are pretty
> much priceless. installed programs that aren't easily replaced? priceless.

Ah, the wonders of free software: All installed programs are thus easily
replaced. :)

As far as home directories, the best thing I've found is to be anal
about organizing things. Keeping downloads in one directory pares my
home directory down to about 250 megs, from over 2 gigs.

> the OS? eh, whatever, it's not that important. i can reinstall that easily
> enough.

Yeah, made even easier if you've got a distro like Debian, where you can
grab the list of packages, and then feed it back in at a later date, to
be automatically reinstalled.

-Jon