[buug] Backups [Was: Trapped in Upgrade Hell]

f.johan.beisser jan at caustic.org
Mon Mar 8 13:13:39 PST 2004

On Mon, 8 Mar 2004, johnd wrote:

> What do you mean by data?

everything on disk is important, period. it doesn't matter what it is,
where it's from, or if you can "easily replace" it. if it can't be
restored easily, it's useless.

>  You don't think binaries that came with your distros install CD are
> irreplacable?

those are the most replacable bits of data you have on disk. for a home
user, it's almost completely pointless to back up the OS itself.

	The other day I asked former Yankees pitcher Jim Bouton
        what he thought of our great victory over Iraq, and he
        said, "Mohammed Ali versus Mr. Rogers."
		-- kurt vonnegut, 5.9.03