[buug] Backups [Was: Trapped in Upgrade Hell]

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Mar 8 22:53:39 PST 2004

Quoting James Howard (buug at multivax.net), in no particular order:

> Then what, pray tell, constitutes "real backup" according to Nick Moffit?

It's entirely possible that you are trying -- rather badly, I would say
-- to refer to Mr. Nick Moffitt.  Although some have been known to be
confused by the white lab coats and mirrored shades, otherwise we don't
look the least bit alike.  I hope you'll remember that, in the future.

> Furthermore, you're making a lot of assumptions about the nature of my
> data.

I'm assuming primarily that your data are of value, and change
progressively over time.  But, actually, I have to admit that I have no
interest in -=your=- data as such, particularly, nor am I actually
addressing specifically -=you=-, in effect:  I'm using you as a generic
springboard to make broader points for the list membership's benefit.

> Actually, it isn't 4 merely generations of copies. It's four fulls, with
> incrementals.

That is better yet.  And you almost but not quite value your data enough
to store them off-site.  I'm impressed.  ;->

> Your presumption is correct. It's called a 'firesafe'.

An on-premises firesafe subject to being picked up and stolen, or merely
an on-premises one in which your tapes would be soon damaged beyond
usability (even if within the safe's rated temperature) in any significant fire?

> It's not a problem for me. I power my system down whenever I'm asleep.

Ah.  Many others of us find a need to shut down system power just for
routine system events a deal-breaker, you see.

--
Cheers,
Rick Moen                                        This space for rant.
rick at linuxmafia.com