[buug] fire vs. media safe/file/cabinet [Was: Backups [Was: ...

Michael Paoli mp at rawbw.com
Tue Mar 9 09:33:38 PST 2004

> From: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
> To: buug at weak.org
> Subject: Re: [buug] Backups [Was: Trapped in Upgrade Hell]
> Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 22:53:39 -0800

> Quoting James Howard (buug at multivax.net), in no particular order:

> > Your presumption is correct. It's called a 'firesafe'.

> An on-premises firesafe subject to being picked up and stolen, or merely
> an on-premises one in which your tapes would be soon damaged beyond
> usability (even if within the safe's rated temperature) in any significant fire?

Yes, be sure to be aware of the difference between fire vs. media
safe/file/cabinet.  The fire variety will protect paper in most fires,
but not computer media (magnetic, optical, etc.) or film.  To protect
computer media and film from fire, one should use a media
safe/file/cabinet.  I.e. internal max. temperature: 350 F (fire) vs.
125 F (media).

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3ffi9s%24j26%40crl3.crl.com&output=gplain

Of course if one backs up to paper punch cards or paper tape ...