[buug] Backups [Was: Trapped in Upgrade Hell]

Ian Zimmerman itz at buug.org
Tue Mar 9 10:24:18 PST 2004

Quoth Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>:

Ian> Presently looking at an USB external drive as a solution.

Rick> Use of USB for mass storage makes baby Jesus weep.  May I lend you
Rick> one of my old SCSI host adapters?  ;->

He weeps over many things, and this is not even one of the more important
ones. :-)

Actually I have a fine SCSI adapter, how do you think I used the 4G DDS2
drive I mentioned?

Rick> When you include cost of a _serious_ number of rotational backup
Rick> sets, DDS tends to look very attractive, relative to all
Rick> alternatives.

Attractive, yes, but not a forgeone conclusion.  I just checked ebay - a
used DDS3 seems to go for about $150, excluding shipping.  That's still
more than the _new_ USB drive I was looking at.

--
Nothing can be explained to a stone.
Or to a stoned person, either.