[buug] IDE drive recognition

f.johan.beisser jan at caustic.org
Thu Nov 4 11:40:33 PST 2004

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004, Jon McClintock wrote:

> Nope. In Linux, the controller itself doesn't get a device node, just
> the drives. Drive devices have the following scheme:
>
> / dev / ('hd' or 'sd') ( letter indicating drive ) ( partition number )
>
> 'hd' is for IDE devices (Hard drives and most CD-ROMs), 'sd' is for SCSI
> disk devices.

ok, i'm just used to the BSD and solaris naming methods.

> To figure what goes where, check the kernel boot log, as Aaron suggests.
> It'll tell you what drive has which device, with messages like:
>
> 	hda: HITACHI_DK23EA-30, ATA DISK drive
> 	hdc: Compaq DVD-ROM DV28EB, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive

even under BSD, do the same thing. find the reference for the drive first.

 --- f.johan.beisser ---
  I concede that I overestimated the intelligence of the American people.
  Though the people disagree with the President on almost every issue, you
  saw fit to vote for him. I never saw that coming. That's really special.
  And I mean "special" in the sense that we use it to describe those kids who
  ride the short school bus and find ways to injure themselves while eating
  pudding with rubber spoons. That kind of special.
	-- Adam Felber, "Concession Speech"
	   http://www.felbers.net/mt/archives/000945.html