[buug] DNS Server and Apache on same machine

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Oct 20 15:48:40 PDT 2004

Quoting Jarell Douville (jcdouville at sbcglobal.net):

> I'm using apache13-modssl and the version of bind that
> comes default with freebsd-4.10.

An old boss of mine had a saying:  "That's almost useful" (i.e., not
useful at all).  Here's how I query my installation of BIND for its
version number:

[rick at uncle-enzo]
~ $ /usr/sbin/named -v
BIND 9.2.4rc5

> I used the command make-localhost.

Others may have a different perspective on the elephant under scrutiny,
but the foregoing doesn't tell me anything.

You could have meant to say:

1.  I constructed /etc/named/mpflea.net as follows:  [cited]
2.  I constructed /etc/named.conf as follows:  [cited]
3.  I attempted to [re-]start BIND using this exact sequence of
    commands:  [cited]
4.  The following was returned to stdout: [cited]
5.  The following was recorded in /var/log/daemon.log: [cited]
    (Substitute appropriate logfile.)
6.  The following was returned to stdout when I typed
    "dig @localhost www.mpflea.com CNAME".
    (Substitute as required any other command that suffices to show
    the symptom.)

> Here's my "mpflea.net" zone file:
> ///////////////////////////////
> $TTL 3600
> mpflea.net. IN SOA ns1.mpflea.com. admin.mpflea.net. (
> 		5		; Serial
> 		10800		; Refresh
> 		3600		; Retry
> 		604800		; Expire
> 		86400		; Minimum TTL
> ; DNS Servers
> @		IN NS	ns1.mpflea.com.
> ; Machine Names
> localhost	IN A	127.0.0.1
> ns1		IN A	@
> mail		IN A	@
> mpflea.net	IN A	@
> @		IN A	208.185.250.89

I'm not going to debug your entire zonefile, but: (1) You shouldn't be
trying to define localhost, here:  It's not part of that zone at all.
(2) You have gravely misunderstood the meaning and purpose of "@" in
BIND zonefiles.

Note:  Your resolver configuration (resolv.conf) isn't directly relevant
to this issue.  You're trying to debug the _server_ end of DNS.  Your
resolver is a DNS _client_ piece.