[buug] two urls one ip...with ssl

Rob Helmer robert at roberthelmer.com
Wed Sep 1 17:34:31 PDT 2004

Hi John,

The SSL negotiation happens before any HTTP headers are passed, which is
why you do need one IP per domain. Named-based virtual hosting works by
looking at the "Host:" HTTP header, so you're pretty much stuck with
whatever the domain the certificate has on it, and this needs to match
what the user typed into their web browser. By the time the "Host:"
header is encountered by Apache, SSL negotiation has already been decided.

This also means that you need a seperate SSL certificate for each domain.

--
Rob