[buug] hardware load balancing vs software

Michael Paoli mp at rawbw.com
Wed Sep 1 22:53:24 PDT 2004

Well, actually, BIND (generally) hands out all the IPs each time, but
round-robins the order each time it hands out the IPs.

Generally speaking if the client doesn't get a response from the first of
multiple IPs, it eventually times out and goes on to subsequent IPs, until
it gets one that responds, or exhausts trying the various IPs.

Note however if the server does "respond" - such as with connection
refused (server being brought up or down, or server up but service down),
the client doesn't bother trying other IPs.

So, in short, BIND DNS round-robin can do some crude "load balancing"
of sorts, and it may be adequate for some scenarios, but in many situations,
at least by itself, it may not be sufficient.