[buug] Where do I find old versions of unix?

Tony Godshall togo at of.net
Thu Apr 14 16:59:28 PDT 2005

According to Aaron T Porter,
> On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 07:10:45PM -0500, willtop31 at epsfh.com wrote:
>
> > I'm looking for something that will run on a x286 with 8 MB of ram.
> >
> > Can anybody point me in the right direction?
>
> 	I don't think any of the BSD's will run on pre-386 hardware. Your
> only options are probably MINIX or ELKS.

Linux kernel 2.6 has merged in the ucLinux (uc as in micro
controller) fork, so it is able to be compiled to run on
low-spec non-MMU CPUs.  You might look into that.  I don't
know if there's any distrib supporting it, but you're
probably wise to look at the embedded systems arena (mass
market or low-power embedded apps are pretty much the only
uses for low-spec CPUs any more).  I'd expect you'd find
most 286 unixes have atrophied, if they were ever on the web
to begin with (IIRC, the 286 was new around 20 years ago).