[buug] Opportunity: Minneapolis, MN; hands-on hardware, Solaris/Red Hat/HP-UX/SuSE

Michael Paoli mp at rawbw.com
Thu Aug 25 14:13:09 PDT 2005

Opportunity: Minneapolis, MN; hands-on hardware, Solaris/Red Hat/HP-UX/SuSE

The work group I'm in still has a position to "permanently" fill.  It's
in Minneapolis, MN, and no, I don't think my employer is doing or even
considering relocation costs, ... but, ... if you may be interested and
qualified, or may know someone who is ...

Here's most recent (fairly brief) description, mostly from posting also
listed[1] on sage.org[2] (a few more details may also be available there if
you're a member of SAGE):

Seeking "right" candidate: good/strong hands-on hardware
technical (Solaris 8 SPARC, Hewlett-Packard x86 Red Hat AS 3.0), strong
in those operating systems and Perl, and preferably also HP-UX 11.11,
SuSE 8.1, shell scripting, SAGE Level III[3]/IV[4], etc.

Location        USA job
City            Minneapolis
SAGE Level      III (Intermediate/Advanced)[3]
Job/Co. URL     http://www.wellsfargo.com/employment/index.jhtml
Job status      permanent
Salary range    market rate for skills/experience
Details:
Need someone who works quite well rather independently
(the rest of the support group is in San Francisco - hey, no manager
staring over your shoulder - but need to be accountable), communicates
well, is rather strong on hands-on hardware technical (responsible for
covering or arranging coverage on servicing and installations of all
hardware at that location, most notably Solaris 8 SPARC and
Hewlett-Packard x86 Red Hat AS 3.0 systems, and also related
infrastructure (e.g. terminal server, etc.)), strong on Solaris 8 SPARC
and Hewlett-Packard x86 Red Hat AS 3.0 (both local to that site), Perl,
at least proficient in scripting one or more Bourne-like shells
(Bourne/Korn/POSIX/bash). Proficiency or better in HP-UX 11.11 and SuSE
8.1 also a significant plus. Expecting and desire a typical compliment
of SAGE Level III[3]/IV[4] skills/experience. Hours are mostly "business
hours", with some occasional off-hours work required, but almost zero
on-call requirements. Environment is a busy, fast-paced, dynamicly
changing test/development environment. This position *may* be available
on a direct hire (start as employee) basis, and *is* available on a
"contract-to-hire" basis (start on contract basis, then convert to
employee probably a few months down the road). Some of the key decision
makers are still debating that particular detail.
Spec. Requmnts  Must pass background check

If you are or may be interested, or know someone who is or may be (or
have specific questions), please feel free to drop me a note, pass
resume to me (or URL to resume), etc., to my WORK e-mail address (
reply should work if you're doing this direct from the e-mail, if not,
or to confirm e-mail address, this should provide sufficient hint to
determine/confirm my work e-mail address:
echo cnbyvzvp at jryyfsnetb.pbz |
tr abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz nopqrstuvwxyzabcdefghijklm
).

footnotes/references:
1. "moderator" approval may still be pending as I very recently updated it
   http://www.sage.org/jobs/members-only/jobsoffered.cg
2. http://www.sage.org/
3. http://www.sage.org/pubs/8_jobs/core.mm#Intermediate
4. http://www.sage.org/pubs/8_jobs/core.mm#Senior