[buug] Freebsd 5.3 and internet access problems.

Rohan Mendonca rvmss at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 5 23:24:00 PST 2005

Hi Brian,

Sorry for the delay in replying.

I made the following changes based on your
suggestions:

1.

/etc/resolv.conf

RM# cat resolv.conf
nameserver      192.168.0.1

what does cat resolv.com do?
Is the nameserver the same as the router?

2.

 /etc/rc.conf

defaultrouter="192.168.0.1"
ifconfig_ed0="inet 192.168.0.153  netmask
255.255.255.0"

My /etc/rc.conf already had the ethernet card in it.
I just added the defaultrouter line.
What is the host name? I did not add that.

Anyway,after these changes, I just did a reboot and
everything seems to work.
I can connect to the internet.

I really appreciate your help. This really helps me
feel confident that I can break out of the cukoo's
nest (windows) without being strangled.

I am not sure which of the changes helped. I am glad
it did, but would like to know, what was the problem.

Thanks again.

You guys will most likely hear from me again as I
slowly move to freebsd.

Rohan Mendonca