[buug] Re: The nameserver is ...

Michael Paoli mp at rawbw.com
Sun Feb 6 16:40:09 PST 2005

Quoting Brian Sobolak:

> On Sat, 5 Feb 2005, Rohan Mendonca wrote:
> > Is the nameserver the same as the router?
> The nameserver is rarely the same as the router, but it depends on your
> configuration.

I don't think I'd (quite) say rarely.  In larger infrastructures, it tends
to be more common for router(s) and nameserver(s) to be distinct, but for
smaller infrastuctures - which may often be quite numerous - it is not all
that uncommon for nameserver and router to be one-in-the-same.  On my home
RFC1918 ("private") network, the router and nameserver IP and system are
one-in-the-same.  For many all-in-one solution type devices (NAT + DHCP
server + hub/switch + DSL/cable Ethernet bridge ("modem")) I'd think it
relatively common that they're one-in-the same (at least by IP address on
the RFC1918 side of things).  Of course this does and will vary by
configurations and specific devices (e.g. it's probably more common for
the nameserver IP to match the router IP in cases where the system/device
acts as a caching-mostly/only nameserver, or where the device/system uses NAT
to handle DNS traffic).