[buug] Loading a .tar.gz file in Debian Linux

webmaster at hawaiidakine.com webmaster at hawaiidakine.com
Wed Feb 23 20:54:14 PST 2005

Hi Linux people,

I am helping a friend with a Debian install.

Anybody know the best directory to open the gui window manager xfce from
a tar.gz file. This Debian Linux version  is "sarge". I am a FreeBSD
person and the file structure in "sarge" is not easy to figure out. Like
I don't want a gui boot up I want to start with a command line. So I
have finally, after reading the top complaints on the Debian list,
figured out how to start a gui under level 3  when you need to have it.
    I want to have a simple gui XFCE3, not KDE and only XFCE4 is
available on the apt-get.

Any help appreciated.

Al Plant -Webmaster http://hawaiidakine.com
Supporting Open Source in computing with FreeBSD 4.9
"Failure only happens when you stop trying." - Omar Periu