[buug] Freebsd 5.3 and internet access problems.

Rohan Mendonca rvmss at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 30 12:21:11 PST 2005

Hi,

I am new to freebsd. I want to move from windows to
freebsd.

I have just installed 5.3 on my computer.
I am running this computer behind a router which is
connected to a cable modem. The router has dhcp
disabled and I assign ip addresses to all the
computers attached to it.
I managed to configure the ethernet card with a static
ip.
I am able to ping the card. I can also ping the
router.
I can ping the freebsd computer from a windows
computer on the network.

I have 2 problems.

1. I cannot access the internet using opera in
xwindows.
It say's "hosts not found" for any web site even
though
I can ping the router, the ethernet card.
what am I doing wrong?
I do not think I have icfw enabled.
Please help!

2. I seem to need to enable the ethernet card
everytime I logon/restart the computer. How do I set
it up so that it is enabled permanently.

Thanks,
Rohan
rvmss at yahoo.com