[buug] Re: ANNOUNCE: EFF PVR Build-In, Saturday 12 March, 11AM

Tony Godshall togo at of.net
Tue Mar 8 00:52:42 PST 2005

> > > I'm no expert.  The recommendation at EFF was to use
> > > antennaweb.org to determine what is best, but that
> > > only
> > > works for outdoor antennas (it said I need a get a
> > > "red"
> >
> > Wow, directional antenna sounds complicated...
> > for my location, most stations come up "yellow"
> >
> > > one for most of the stations) but EFF also said they use
> > > an indoor one themselves.  I live in an apartment, so I'm
> > > going to get an indoor one.  Still haven't identified which
> > > one... they range from $30 ugly and unpowered to past $100
> > > decorative and powered.
> >
> > "Terk" make a HDTV antenna that's in a sort of grey
> > tubelike thing, perhaps it would suit your apartment.
> > I'm using one of their regular TV antennas here and
> > it seems to be fairly OK just sitting on top of the
> > deck railing. It does need some power to work best,
> > and mounting it high up would be better, but for now...

I picked up a discreet bar type by Jensen at Best Buy
and a picture frame one at Radio Shack.  Many of the
antennas available look like they just added "Ready For
HDTV" on the outside of a regular old model antenna.

I also liked a Terk one with a pair of low almost
decorative diamond-shapped loops.  I thought the toothed
one looked cool but stood out too much as is probably too
directional.  If you bring an antenna too we can try both
and see if one works better.

My pcHDTV card arrived today!  Yeay!