[buug] Certifications

Michael Paoli mp at rawbw.com
Thu Mar 31 23:32:30 PST 2005

Question was asked at last meeting about certifications.

One thing I ran across relatively lately - not a particular endorsement or
recommendation, but in any case:

Brainbench - http://www.brainbench.com/ is running a limited time free
opportunity on their certifications.  Essentially all their certifications
are free to obtain (just take and score suitably on the relevant test(s))
... but this only runs through 2005-04-04.

At other times they seem to occasionally offer some certifications for free.
I don't recall if they've ever offered them all for free at the same time
in the past, but they may have occasionally done so for brief periods.

Some other certifications I mentioned earlier in full or part:
http://www.sans.com/ --> http://www.giac.org/
USENIX/SAGE certification http://www.usenix.org/ -->
http://www.sage.org/ --> http://sageweb.sage.org/programs/cert/
http://www.lpi.org/

Many vendors also have certification programs for their own products (e.g.
Sun Microsystems, Red Hat, IBM, etc.)