[buug] HP Unix Workstation

Brian Dessent brian at dessent.net
Tue Nov 8 14:02:26 PST 2005

Shaw Vrana wrote:

> > 1. Brush up on my old skills, i.e. shell scripting, line command, file
> > and disk manipulation, etc.  Basic admin stuff and I want to run my own
> > web server which includes cgi/perl scripting.
>
> Do you have a particular interest in HPUX?  If not, you could easily get
> an old Intel box and install a version of GNU/Linux or *BSD on it.  This
> would probably be the cheapest option as just about any box would do and
> you'd have access to a widely used, enterprise-level Unix-like system.
> Perhaps even easiest, would be to boot your current machine from a
> bootable Linux distribution like Knoppix or Ubuntu.

Or, take the money you would have spent on the hardware at ebay and buy
a copy of VMware.  Then install images of CentOS, Suse, Fedora, Gentoo,
Mandriva, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, Solaris x86, and Darwin x86.  The
breadth you would get from being familiar with all of those seems to me
like it would be a lot more valuable than the depth of knowing one
certain flavor of a proprietary unix.

Brian