[buug] Missing boot loader ...

Al Plant webmaster at hawaiidakine.com
Tue Jun 13 22:22:45 PDT 2006

I installed FreeBSD 6.1 on 2 different HD's 3.5 GB. When the reboot is
supposed to happen the Boot loader doesnot come up. Is there a way to
fix this from a single user prompt or any other way? I have never had
this happen to FreeBSD and I have been installing it on many boxes since
  version 3.4.

This box is for a firewall on a small office  lan with only a minimal
FreeBSD 6.1 installed to run the firewall. It is an HP box Vectra 486/66.

I have looked at several how to's in my FreeBSD reference books, but
most say put a dos partition on the drive as maybe the bios need to see
the parameters more clearly. Any Ideas besides that? I do have a box
that cant run above FreeBSD 4.11 as a print server in an installation.
But FreeBSD 5* would not install on it at all. This installs but won't boot.

Al Plant

  -- Webmaster- http://hawaiidakine.com Admin- http://freebsdinfo.org --
Supporting Open Source Computing - - FreeBSD 6.* -- Debian Linux 3*
"All that's really worth doing is what we do for others."- Lewis Carroll